Wednesday, November 7, 2012

I knew this trip would not be easy but REALLY?

11/4/12

OK ... I knew this trip would not be easy but REALLY?
It seems it has been nothing but challenges!!!!
Last I had a chance to send you an update was over 10 days ago in Kathmandu. A day later my mouse froze up on my notebook (obstacle#1) and I couldn't get it to work. Finally the clerk at the Hotel Utse desk plugged in their mouse and I got 2 emails out before it quit. The next morning at breakfast I had a German and 2 American IT guys trying to get it working to no avail. Finally when the shops opened Friday morning, I took it to a little cyber shop and the guy puttsed with it for awhile and started telling me to go across town to where they might be able to help me. I explained my bus left for Dadeldhura in a few hours and I didn't have time to run around... He asked " you tried the battery right?" "No" I replied... so we took out the battery and replaced it again and WALLA!
So that works but I still had yarn to buy, and baking soda for the bakery to buy and finish packing and a few other errands before getting to the bus park. So priorities... no time to write emails!
By the way, I had a great time with Yam Devi, designing and ordering a bunch of new jewelry options for the Brick maker women to produce! The ladies are thrilled to have new orders and work!
I was infinitely frustrated cause all the shops were closed for the Deshain holiday (obstacle #2) and I could not buy yarn or groceries to bring out here. Finally one of the shops in Thamel that sells sweaters, took me to their factory and let me buy 10 kilo of their wool (rejects) but it is not in the colors I needed so is mostly blacks and neutrals... it has put a definite kink in our style in terms of developing the products we hoped for out west.
5 days wasted sitting around K-du was about all I could take... fortunately I got a bus ticket on one of the first buses headed west after the holiday. It was an AC bus so had to pay extra for that... though who needs AC on a night bus in October in Nepal... it's more like you need heat! So I bought a big blanket like shawl for that and it kept me warm on the trip.
Now, I asked the Lord for a good seat mate, one who would not throw up on me, and for protection on this long journey. He heard me and gave me a package deal...an army captain, 29 years old with beautiful blue eyes (rare for a Nepali) and a buff body ( irrelevant I suppose) who within the first hour asked if he could call me "MOM"! LOL!
He was pleasant company and took every pain to protect me and insure my comfort and anticipate my needs. He is determined to find me on FB and converse if I can ever find Internet access! Actually I feel honored to have his respect and have agreed to pray for him, his wife and his new baby boy, 1 month and 6 days old as of our travel date. Please pray for him and his family as well, as we may never know how God is working in his heart and life though such an innocent contact!
He called me last night from the Barracks to check on me and assure me he is still my "Son".
Obstacles I have experienced since arriving safely last Saturday continue to arise
Here are a few... some resolved and others still pending for the miracles we are praying for but expect!
#3:It took 5 days to find a dozer and Tipper truck but it finally arrived last Thursday. It took 10 more hours to clear away all the rock and debris and mud from the landslides onto our construction site! But it looks pretty clear now. There were several precarious moments where disturbing the face of the mountain brought down more slippage and we were in fear for the house perched ( on no foundation... just stilts) above. But the dirt seems dry and the house still standing. There were a host of observers holding their breath. It is still precarious so join me in believing there are 10,000 angels holding up the face of that mountain!!!
I met with Megh (my master overseer for the paraplegic facility building project) and Pastor P tonight about our next plan of action. We all agree we should build a big retaining wall ASAP. Tomorrow we will meet for prayer at 9 AM and then are inviting a Korean engineer to come assess our situation and get us back on track with our building plans. Obstacle #4 is the last engineer quit his job at the hospital ... the one that promised to daily supervise this project pro bono! so he has left town! Bummer!
But we trust God has an even better plan and engineer in store for us...one who can advise us exactly how to build this wall. (I am wondering how much experience Nehemiah had in construction before they took on rebuilding the walls of Jerusalem??? I have none and this is quite daunting for me... but I told the Lord I was available... so here I am!)
Obstacle #5 : The hospital is facing huge challenges with the families of patients who die demanding that the hospital pay them huge sums of money! Earlier in the week a lady 30 years old came with a huge abscess on her face. After waiting weeks to come and trying all kinds of witch doctoring to no avail her jaw was swollen shut so the staff gave her Ketamine for an anesthetic and lanced the abscess... a procedure that is done often here. In her case no one could have anticipated that she had a fistula ( passage) all the way though into her mouth and the pus drained down into her mouth and she aspirated it and died several hours later. Dr D spent 8 hours at the Chief District Office refusing to pay their demands and even offered to shut down the hospital if they wished but took a firm position. That scene has quieted but I'm not sure resolved.
Yesterday AM a woman came and delivered her baby boy... to complicate it, she had been bitten by a poisonous snake in her village a couple days before and so bled out postpartum and died. Her family started a scene with a lot of shouting and threats and demanding money from the hospital. The hulla went on all day and involved the police intervening and eventually a whole crowd moving from the hospital up to the CDO's office again. Last night at about 10pm the loud crowd passed our house yelling and shouting but it quickly dissipated as we prayed. Today about 12 police have stood guard outside the hospital so at least it remained open. The family tried to close the road to Doti but I heard the police made them reopen it. This kind of irrational behavior is clearly NOT from the Lord. Please pray for peaceful resolution as it is hard to walk around wary of volatile tempers. Pray for peace and resolution to the confusion.
Obstacle #6: Our water supply has somehow been damaged and we are only gettting a fraction of the water in our 1000 liter drum that we should. Apparently the general expectation is that we would pay a bribe to get it fixed at the municipality... we choose not to do that so are praying we can get it resolved above board.
Obstacle#7: I have tried to get World Link to supply us with internet access here... alas it has not worked most of the last 5 days in spite of my paying in advance for a whole year! The young guy they keep sending out clearly does not know what he is doing... but twice was able to get me on while he was here but by the time he was over the ridge the connection was lost and irretrievable! HUMMMMMM
What to do? Just at the start of this letter I miraculously had a connection but within 8 minutes of typing the power went off so now I pray I can save all this in a draft and get back on later!
Well it is time for me to go across the way to have dinner with the optometrist that programs our radio programs in Dotiyali, the local language. We air 3 x week for 15 minutes gearing the message of love to illiterate women and children. Please pray for this vital ministry. For most of the girls and women here it is the first time they have ever been told they matter and are loved!
I so appreciate all of you praying me up!!! Don't know what I'd do without you!
Blessings!
Dawn Didi
PS  #8...did you know you cannot save an email to draft if the electricity is out? so copy and paste to Word! and now here it is some hours and a great Nepali meal later I am going to quick send you this before there are any more obstacles!

No comments: