Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Last leg of my journey

Hi everyone!
Have had no internet for the last 6 days both in Dadeldhura or in Kathmandu! But no surprise for Nepal... we did have water though... and lots of it... both in the pipes / drum for bathing and washing... and a little too much in the atmosphere!
On Thursday after 3 days of hunting, a dozer miraculously, came right down our street and Megh was able to convince the driver we just needed a" half hour of his time"! He called the boss and got permission and 10 minutes later it was digging out our septic tank. 2 meters deep x 12x 10.  An hour later it was done!

Our mistake was we didn't have a "Tipper" ( dump truck ) to haul the dirt away so the dozer plunked it beside the house and kinda pushed it back and we hoped to find a way to deal with that later, ie next day and allow the workmen to get started building the 18inch walls inside it to support the tank. In theory it works... it reality it doesn't because one must factor monsoon surprize storms into the equation! It POURED rain all night and washed much of the dirt right back down into the hole and even caused the 1 meter margin of safety near the house to cave in, in one place. In the process the neighbors water drums got covered up as well so I spent considerable time assuring the neighbor we would make it right and buying them a new drum to tide them over. Well by now the dirt is no longer dirt, but heavy mud and impossible to move by hand, so we again were trying to track down a dozer, this timewith a tipper to haul it away. Alas paying for the job twice! The day I left ( Saturday) both were due to arrive together! Pray it really happened and that the workmen can finish lining the hole safely!

The doors and windows slated to arrive Thursday, still had not arrived Sunday when I called.

Sabi was asking for my painting supplies Sunday so that is being done. The walls and ceiling are dry enough to paint at least the first coat.

The Phlam Man ( iron man) making the big outside steel door had it made but was tardy in delivery on Thursday so we asked him to please wait till Monday or Tuesday now to install it so he doesn't wreck the new cement floors that just got poured on Friday!

So much still to wrap up but all designated to specific individuals to complete... and it will get done... Nepali style! Eventually!

I put 3 capable women in charge of arranging furniture and supplies, and Thirtha the maintenance man, is doing the electrical and plumbing... has to wait till the cement floors are dry to install the sinks and toilet... he will also manage the disassembly of their iron beds and reassembly of their new water beds complete with their new water heaters!

The good news is I got out of Dadeldhura with minimal rain on Saturday AM though it had rained all night. Tula, the driver I had booked, stood me up and we spent a harried hour trying to find another vehicle to get me to the airport but I got there on time, the flight took off 10 minutes early ( pilot afraid  of the weather?) and we got to K-du on time. However Yeti Airlines succeeded in somehow ripping my suitcase to shreds and it took 45 minutes I didn't have, to file a report to discover I needed to bring the suitcase back empty the next day and they would repair it.

The next day was a bhundh... nothing moved, nothing was open till after 5 pm! It was my only day to accomplish loose ends. SO I met with Yam ( in charge of the Brick women ministry that make our jewelry, at 6 PM in Jhawelakhel and the DDL college kids for dinner at 6:30.

 I was able to sneak in the back door of the cargo company during the day,and get all my excess baggage shipped in spite of the bhundh as they are across the street from my hotel and I had inside connections!

I also got the hotel to send out my torn suitcase for repairs and they  only charged me about 3$ ... much less than trips to the airport and back... in the rain!
Most of my 2 days in Kathmandu it poured rain. A phone call back to Dadeldhura confirmed it had poured rain solid for 2 days there as well so most believe the monsoons are officially here... and in answer to my prayers God allowed me to exit without event and delayed the deluge to allow my passage.
The turbulence and the pathway of our Korean air jet last evening was amazing to observe, as the pilot clearly was trying to avoid massive cloud banks taking our route far south( all the way to Dacca)  of the projected trajectory on the map! The Monsoons really are here.

 Standing on HIS promises in faith... re: believing for things yet unseen... yes but with a tear in my eye! He will complete HIS project and yes, bless others as they minister to these girls too.

 I am in Seoul, Korea... I board the last leg of these flights in about 2 hours! It will be good to get home to my own bed and the next day dig / putter in my own garden.

Thanks for standing with me in faith!
Dawn Didi

No comments: