Monday, June 3, 2013

2 Weeks To Go>>>>

Hard to believe I have already been here in Nepal 8 weeks! So much has happened and so much still needs to happen before I can wrap up this project and feel at peace about leaving. But I have 2 weeks left and a God still in the business of doing miracles so will hang on remembering how often in the past HE has come through for me in the 11th hour! 
 
Today the "RCC" walls were completed. These are the exterior walls of the next level and are retaining walls. They are designed to hold back the mountain should any further slippage occur with the imminent onset of the monsoon rains upon us. It really can't prevent the tin shack above us from falling but it should keep it from falling on the girls and the existing building if it should tumble! We felt it was imperative we get this done now before the rains as it is a major structural concern so have diverted the funds intended for electric, plumbing, plaster and paint ( and associated labor) to this!
The cement roof should be dry on June 6th. The bamboo posts can then be removed that are currently supporting the ceiling/ roof and the contractor for the plumbing and electric can swoop in and lay the appropriate lines.  The current contractor can begin plastering the brick walls with cement. I have asked him to do the doors and windows first so I can call the window people up from Dhangadi ( 5 hours away) to come measure and get the doors and windows custom made and on their way. Once the walls are plastered, the cement floors are poured. It takes 9 days for this to set up.
You do the math... I have a flight out of Dhangadi to K-du on 6/15!
 
This means that short of an absolute miracle I will not be the one to move the girls into their new home and get them settled. But I keep telling myself "it is not about me". Perhaps someone else needs to be blessed to do the close and reveal! Alycia has volunteered that if she is here and I leave her a map  of the new layout, she will arrange the furniture and help Thirtha get the girls moved in. I am so grateful for her willingness and realize what a huge responsibility she would be undertaking! Pray for her if she should get stuck with all this work!
 
While we are waiting for the 6th to arrive our contractor will be working on 2 projects we forgot to budget for... the septic tank and a ramp for wheelchair access to the new facility. Please pray for the extra $3000 needed to cover these additional expenses. A bag of cement is now $12.50. We need another 142 bags to finish the plaster, floors, septic and ramp and that is not counting sand, gravel and rock and iron rods to support it all. What a shame construction costs have doubled since October when I last got quotes on materials!
 
So while I would hate to sound like I'm begging... I'm going to ask each of you please pray and put whatever energy God might lead you to lend to this important cause, whether it is a" pass the hat" in your church or small group or setting out a can at work or a bake sale. If you know any celebrities that would do a charity concert or have connections to a philanthropist or a foundation that we could appeal to for a grant... this would be a great time to let us know if we could contact them! Thanks for your prayerful consideration and support. And to the many of you who have already generously given we so appreciate you and we are trying to be the best possible stewards of every dollar and dime you have donated for His kingdom glory here!
 
On other fronts:
The 2 hospital staff that were being held in custody were released last Monday! They were held over 26 days with no charges and when the supplies were counted that they had supposedly "stolen" they exactly matched the inventory reports. I don't understand why these supplies couldn't have been counted earlier... but Yo Nepal Ho.
 
All the staff got paid on Tuesday! They got their 1 month salary due them ( for the month they were told not to work) and an additional month bonus. However they did not get their retirement funds yet. Perhaps later? they may have to each make trips to HDCS hdqtrs in Kathmandu in the future to get what is owed them. 
 
Megh ( my general contractor) tried refusing 3 times but got sucked into doing the "handover"on the hospital because the administrative staff refused to come out and the gov officials are handing over the hospital to. Megh has not worked at this hospital for over 5 years except in the capacity of running the local radio station owned by HDCS. This is a huge burden and undertaking for him to sort out all the chaos and account for all the equipment, inventory and supplies.
 
Megh thinks there should just be a few more days of dealing with the inventory and then the handover should be complete. However rumors indicate the gov/ political leaders will be demanding $ they think is still coming in from donors to HDCS they think is rightfully part of the handover so I'm guessing Megh will not see a good night of sleep for several more weeks yet! 
 
Pray for Megh caught in this hornets nest. He is my brother and friend and is doing an amazing job negotiating with all the Tulla Manches ( big wigs) and trying to juggle the many other things on his plate he had going before he was dragged into this hospital mess!
 
The prison ministry is going great! This week 8 of us went on Thursday and Doyl and Prakash both brought their guitars and we did a little program for them. I took cookies for everyone including the 20 staff ( guards) so those were a big hit. There are now 5 who have believed in there, 2 women and 3 men. Pray for them to have fellowship with each other and to boldly share their new faith and to grow in wisdom and faith. A couple inmates asked 2 of our group for their cell #'s and want to call re: questions they have about what they have read from materials we have given so that is encouraging too.
 
Last Sunday  was National Outreach Day so 3 teams of 5 from our church went village to village and through the bazaar passing out tracts and stopping to talk with any who had questions. Pray for every piece of literature to touch someone's heart with God's love. Today our church enjoyed D*****








encouragement to love our neighbors in really practical ways beyond just handing them a tract. It was my turn to share with the women's group and I felt led to share about blessings... not just how we can be blessed by God but how we can be a blessing to others. In that vein, I felt convicted to make some cookies tomorrow and take them to the TSF ( tin shack family) whose tin shack balances precariously above our construction site but the family refuses to move to safety... the mother yelled at me the first few days I was here and though I try to say Namaste every time I pass through her walkway, she usually refuses to return the greeting. I am praying about how I can love her in spite of her hostility. Please pray for me in this regard!
 
Things are pretty quiet at the bakey with most of the Bideshi's ( foreigners) gone. The Restless Team from the UK have hung out as it is their last week here. They invited me to their Sports day, yesterday, in the village they have worked in the last 2 months. It was a 1 1/2 hour walk down to the valley and 2 hour up. It was a really fun day and I was pleased to have been invited. On my way back,a Dr. named Alec, ran up behind me on the path, walked with me for a few minutes then ran on. I caught up with him in the bakery, only to find he beat his best running time and did in 29 minutes what took me over 2 hours to walk! and part of that was while walking with and chatting with an old lady! Oh to be young again! I am over twice his age!
 
Well time to turn in... must go to the bank in the morning to see if a wire transfer has come through and to inquire what the terms would be to take out a construction loan if necessary to complete the project. 
 
Looking to the Source of all our resources!
Thanks for joining me in this regard!
Dawn Didi
 








 

No comments: