Sunday, March 15, 2009

Calamity Jane

It is with regret that I must report a disastrous situation. Yesterday I was simply minding my own business, taking a walk with my gracious hostess through the bazaar. First one boy pelted me with a water filled balloon...it is holy after all, a religious festival where the public throw paint and water as some kind of sport. The second balloon that was pelted at me appeared to be from a 12 year old boy. He hit me right in the back. As we progressed down the road, I thought I saw him in my peripheral vision about to launch another one. To my detriment I looked back to verify it and lost my footing and fell. HARD! I twisted my ankle and landed on my shoulder and face. The next several hours I spent in acute pain, as villagers and Julia attempted to get me a taxi and whisk me to the emergency room. Multiple xrays revealed that the deformity of my right shoulder was a dislocation, I fractured my right wrist and a strained ligament in my left ankle.

Currently, I am gimping around with casts that are suppose to stay on for 5 weeks. Julia has taken on the added the role of personal nurse to the role she already fulfilled as a gracious hostess. She is graciously typing for me as with left hand, I am totally useless. However, pain is now a 2/10 if I remain still and swaved in slings.

The bundh is still on. Rumor has it may open up tomorrow but the official holiday for “Holy” is tomorrow and Wednesday. We expect Thursday for the roads to be packed so our plan is to attempt to exit the city on Friday...Lord willing and the creek don’t rise. (Not a chance of that!..There has been no rain in months).

I need your continued prayers for rapid healing, for a way to pay the hospital bill (blue cross/blue shield does not cover this) of $400USD, for a smooth journey to our final destinations and for a clear sense of how to accomplish min.istry all handicapped. I asked God today what I could possibly do for Him in this state He said I could still praise Him so that is my intent.

All for now, I’ll keep you posted. Dave has mostly recovered from his upper respiratory virus. I am grateful for your prayers and for how God is teaching me to depend on Him and providing great friends to surround me.

No comments: