Saturday, November 17, 2007

Oct. 25th, 2007

This is a post Dawn tried to publish on Oct. 25th.

Greetings from Dadeldhura Nepal!!!!

I'm so excited to finally be here and settled after weeks of travel and excitement!
I arrived on October 11th with a relatively smooth trip from Kathmandu out to the far west and made it up the hill in only 4 hours... record time!
I spent a couple days at a guest house here near the hospital ( my Father built years ago) and found a family who wanted to rent me an apartment in their home as my permanent abode.
The family is wonderful! They are most hospitable and accomodating. I am renting just one room so far and by the end of the week will have a second ready just in time for my brother's arrival. Dave will be here for about a month exploring if he is to come and work here full time as well.
In another 2-3 weeks with Dave's help we ( landlord and Dave and I ) will make the remaining 2 rooms habitable with one as a kitchen! We plan to also put in a "western toilet!" and make a new bathroom there and put a hot water heater and a shower into the current Nepali bathroom. Yes... I realize how very much I have taken hot showers for granted in the past!
Since I have no kitchen at present the family has persuaded me to take all my meals with them so I'm eating curried veggies 3 x day and either roti ( bread) or Bhat (rice) with that and lentils. It is starting to get routine... but still tolerable and at least I don't have to cook!
It is great to think that this "Blog Thing" might actually work! I have high hopes... the last 3 attempts didn't go through so I'm getting closer!
It is getting quite cold here in the evenings... we are all starting to prepare for winter!
Pray for adequate warmth... I think of all the villagers who have no means of getting any warmer!
My first big meeting with the local NGO I hope to work with with Income Generation Potential is tomorow evening... think of me and lift us up!
More to come!
Dawn

No comments: